Bandung is located in the central highlands. It can be reached from Jakarta either via the toll road or railway by train. When using the road, there are many small buses connecting Jakarta and Bandung. An alternative to the toll road is the winding and mountainous roads through Puncak (=Peak). The route through Puncak is quite scenic but on weekends and public holidays the traffic is congested.
Bandung’s Husein Sastranegara (IATA: BDO) airport has a difficult location among the mountains and has only limited services with narrow-body airplanes. The airport is located at the end of Pajajaran Street, 4km from the centre of the city. There’s no metered taxi available from bandung airport. The official taxi of the airport didn’t use meter and will only served once you had a taxi ticket (the ticket shown the amount you have to pay to the driver) which can be bought at the taxi booth near the international arrival exit gate, they charges minimum of IDR40,000 (about USD5). Most hotels provide a free airport transfer services.
Some airlines serving Bandung:
- Air Asia  – operates thrice daily flights from Kuala Lumpur and twice daily from Singapore, Denpasar (Bali), Surabaya and Medan and once a day from Pekanbaru. (no-frill airline)
- Lion Air  – operates twice daily from Denpasar, and Surabaya, daily from Banjarmasin, Batam and Medan.
Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta airport is about 3 hours away (plus any traffic jams). A number of companies offer direct shuttle services; see the next section for details.
Travellers arriving direct into Bandung airport will find that it is very close to the city. Taxi fares are fixed at IDR42,000 to most parts of the city. Buy the ticket at the counter because when you ask the “mafia” controlled taxis nearby, they will quote you IDR70,000. The fixed price is still a rip off as the taxi fare from our airport at Bandung SuperMal to the airport, in the morning only cost us IDR30,000. It’s a monopoly contracted out to only one taxi company.
If you’re early at the airport, check-in and walk out of the airport to a small cafe across that road that serves hot noodles, kway teow and tea for half the price you’ll pay for it inside the airport (again another monopoly).
Bus services connect Bandung and smaller surrounding cities. Several long-route buses are also available from major big cities. The most convenient way is the air-conditioned bus with the express or non-stop tag. The main bus terminals in Bandung are Leuwipanjang, serving buses from the west (Bogor, Jakarta, Merak, Pandeglang, Tangerang, Depok, Bekasi, Cikarang, Cibinong and Sukabumi.) and Cicaheum, serving buses from the east (Cirebon, Garut, Tasikmalaya, Banjar, Pangandaran, Indramayu, central Java cities, eastern Java cities and also from Bali Island).
By shuttle bus
With 6-12 seater minivans leaving every fifteen minutes up to every 1 to 2 hours depends on the providers, the shuttle bus market between Jakarta and Bandung is fiercely competitive. Roughly speaking, services can be categorised as either door to door in a chartered car or van that takes your group exactly where you want to go, for around US$50-75, or point to point from a terminal to another, for under US$10. Many companies offer both. Most shuttle providers use Isuzu Elf minivan (similar with Toyota Hiace, but bigger & more spacious) and some companies offer more luxurious options using Toyota Alphard or Hyundai H-1 with a higher fare and distinct routes, but some routes are deleting, because the high price fare after high increase of diesel fuel made consumers use lower grade of shuttle bus.
Bandung shuttle providers
- 4848 Taxi. Jl Prapatan 34, Jakarta. ☎ +62 21 381 4488, +62 21 386 4848. The service is great, reliable and safe. Price: approx. US$ 25/car (4 persons). One destination only in a small area in Jakarta, so you have to ask which area in Jakarta the will serve.
- DayTrans,  (Indonesian-language only) Jakarta (Blora, Sarinah, Fatmawati, Karet, Mall Senayan City, FX Plaza, Meruya-Intercon, Kebon Jeruk-Binus, Grogol, Atrium Plaza, Hotel Acacia, Cempaka Putih Pulomas, Tebet/Pancoran and Jatiwaringin), ☎ +62 21 7063 6868 atau 6386 4005. Bandung (Dipati Ukur, Cihampelas and Pasteur), ☎ +62 22 7063 6868. Rp 90,000 for a share ride.
- Cipaganti, Probably the biggest name in the business, they serve over a half a dozen points throughout Jakarta and its suburbs from their various terminals in Bandung, such as Bandung Trade Center (BTC) on the western side of the city (Pasteur), Cihampelas, and many more, with shuttles leaving every 30 min or so on most routes. Rp 100,000 for a shared ride (Note: special discount rates apply for students), Rp 700,000 for a point-to-point charter.
- Star Shuttle, This is belong to Cipaganti Group to compete with Baraya. ☎ +62 21 700 500 000 and +62 21 700 500 000. Same as with Cipaganti, you have to mention that you will use Star Shuttle.
- Baraya, The ticket fee is only Rp 70,000 for a shared ride. ☎ +62 21 7244 999 and +62 22 253 3456.
- Primajasa Bus, ☎ +62 22 607 3992 (Bandung), ☎ +62 21 800 9545 (Jakarta). Direct shuttle service from Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta airport to Batununggal but they don’t stop at Bandung Super Mall anymore. The trip takes c. 3h and the cost is c. USD8.50/person or IDR75,000. Schedule: once every half hour from 00:30-16:00. Their buses feature a smoking room and toilet at the back. From Lebak Bulus bus terminal in Lebak Bulus, South Jakarta, the Primajasa costs IDR50,000. There will be a numerous other buses running the route from Lebak Bulus, and Kampung Rambutan bus terminal – it is possible to get an economy bus for IDR20,000, although it will be full of people smoking, non air-conditioned, and probably less secure. Ask around, but always be cautious in bus terminals in Indonesia – especially at night.
- Silver Bird Van Taxi (Blue Bird Group), Jl. Mampang Prapatan Raya 60, South Jakarta. ☎ +62 21 798 1234. Price: Rp 750,000 door to door, plus toll fee Rp 40,000.
- X-Trans, Jl. Blora 1 AB, Central Jakarta, ☎ +62 21 315 0555. Price: approx. US$55/car maximum 10 persons for point-to-point charter or Rp 90,000 for a share ride.
- CitiTrans, Jakarta (Fatmawati, Bintaro, Sudirman, Kelapa Gading, Pasar Pagi, Central Park), ☎ 08041111000. Bandung (Dipati Ukur, Cihampelas Walk, Pasteur), ☎ 08041111000. Rp 90,000 single-trip, non-stop, on 7 or 10-person (depends on pool) shuttles with separate seats.
Due to competitions, all shuttles now only have 2 prices, for 6-10 seats about Rp90,000-Rp100,000 and for 10-12 seats about Rp60,000-Rp70,000 in a minibus. While Taxis use car with maximum 4 passengers, excluding the driver.
Bandung is two hours away from Jakarta by car, thanks to the new Cipularang toll road that completes the inter-city highway between Jakarta and Bandung. It is now faster to travel to Bandung by car than by train from Jakarta.
During the rainy season, parts of the Cipularang toll road may be closed because of landslides. On weekends, traffic jams often occur near the toll gates in the Djunjunan/Terusan Pasteur area.
One alternative route is by the slower, but enjoyable, route from Jakarta – Puncak – Cianjur – Bandung. If you travel by car using this route, then make sure to stop at the Puncak Pass, the tip of the highland just on the outskirts of Jakarta. From here, the view of tea plantation with fresh air can be enjoyed. There are plenty of good restaurants and hotels out there.
There is also a beautiful safari park/zoo in Puncak: Taman Safari Indonesia, Jl. Raya Puncak No.601, Cisarua, Bogor. ☎ +62 251 250 000, Fax +62 251 250555. 
State operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia  offers frequent services between Jakarta and Bandung, as well as connections onward to Surabaya. Even the fastest services take more than three hours, making this a slower option than the shuttle buses, but the scenery between Jakarta and Bandung is beautiful. The railroad passes mountains and padi terraces. Don’t miss this view when traveling by train. Use the AC (air-conditioned) coach if you cannot cope with the tropical heat. Most hotels in Bandung provide free transportation from train station to the hotel.
Unlike most other countries, Indonesia do not use number for their train service. As a rule of thumb, the highest standard will be given by ‘Argo’ class train.
The ticket can be bought online at http://tiket.kereta-api.co.id , http://www.tiketkai.com or you can get only the booking code and pay at the stations, post offices, train ticket agents, Indomaret group, Alfamart group and Railcard & Railbox. You can also directly buy tickect without booking code at these online ticket distributors.
Travelling around in Bandung is quite complex and frustrating, especially to newcomers. There is no mass rapid transit system, metro nor tram in Bandung. Locals travel using small public minibuses, known as angkot from angkutan=transport and kota=city.
This city transport has only origin and destination names on top. Sometimes with via description if there are more than one angkot route for a certain origin-destination route. There is no route description anywhere. For locals, it is somewhat amazing that they only memorize where and how the route of each angkot route.
Although there is an official price for angkot from organda (the local organization of these private city transport), sometimes price is based on how far you travel. It’s better that you ask the driver or kernet (driver assistance) about the price to go to a location. To ask for an angkot to stop and pick you up, just raise your hand and they will stop. When you’re inside and want to stop, just ask the kernet to stop. Or say ‘kiri’ (key-ree) or simply ‘stop’ out loud. It was easy to find a bell that you can press to stop but not anymore. Most angkot fare are ranging from Rp 2000-5000, it depends on the route and distance.
An unofficial, yet very helpful, website is Mau Kemana, which literally means something like “Where are you going?”. It shows the actual routes with Angkot prices .
Some tips on using angkot:
If you don’t know which angkot routes to take, then you can take a taxi. Officially, taxis use meters, but some taxi drivers may refuse to use meters and will charge you a fixed price instead. Don’t be afraid to refuse and walk away, even locals are annoyed by this behaviour. Metered cabbies may also take you the long way to get more money. So be careful when traveling by taxi. The most reliable taxi company in Bandung is Blue Bird. Bluebird drivers will almost always use the most appropriate route and will always use the meter. Competing directly in the premium range with Blue Bird, Cipaganti Taxi has started their operation with a red colored car. Gemah Ripah is a third ranking taxi service that seems to be improving their service.
In Bandung, taxis are less common waiting on roadsides, due to the multitude of small roads and lack of space to wait. For this reason, ordering a taxi by phone is usually the simplest and safest bet. The taxi will drive up directly in front of you (ask for its number on the phone for identification), and there is no extra charge (sans a cheap cancellation fee, if necessary).
Alternatively, ask a uniformed security guard or policeman nearby to either flag down a nearby taxi, or point in the direction of a nearby taxi waiting area.
Taxi drivers off the street, or booked by telephone are usually polite and friendly, chosing to charge you by meter but watch out for those mentioned below.
Do allow lots of travel time in Bandung, although the city is small. A short trip that is about 8km will take you 45 min to an hour through the heavy traffic during peak times (morning 8-9am, evening 5-6pm). A short trip from Dago factory outlet areas to The Valley just a few km up north took almost 50minwhen travelling at 6pm.
List of taxi companies in Bandung:
- 4848, Jl. Suniaraja Tmr 39. ☎ +62 22 4234848. Reliable, good service on Bandung to Jakarta route.
- AA Taxi, Jl. Industri 15. ☎ +62 22 60887777 / 6120045
- Bandung Raya, Jl. Dr Setiabudi 177. ☎ +62 22 201 4018.
- Blue Bird, Jl. Terusan Buah Batu 194. ☎ +62 22 7561234. Good reputation and reliable, this is the premium taxi company in Indonesia. Call center employees can speak English.
- Centris Taxi, Jl. Soekarno-Hatta 606-A. ☎ +62 22 7512100. Branch of Centris Taxi company in Jakarta.
- Cipaganti Taxi, Jl. Gatot Subroto No. 94. ☎ +62 22 7319498, +62 22 70070000, +62 22 76919440
- Gemah Ripah,. ☎ +62 22 4217070. Second choice after Blue Bird.
- Kota Kembang, Jl. Kiaracondong 338. ☎ +62 22 7312312.
- Putra, Komplek Marga Asih Indah, Jl. Nilem 2 Blok J1. No. 10. ☎ +62 22 5405010
- Rina-Rini Taxi, Jl. Jenderal Sudirman 561B. ☎ +62 22 70511111
Most are trustworthy but watch out for those who wait near shopping centers and infront of hotels (except approved by the hotel), they will charge you a flat fee, refusing to take you for less. One example is taxis waiting outside “Chi Plaza” where they only take fixed fare passenger.
There are also some bus lines, but they don’t cover the whole city. City buses usually cover long routes across the city from end-to-end; for example, from the north to the south and from the west to the east. The city bus is called DAMRI.
Using your own car or renting a car is probably the easiest and the most convenient way to travel around Bandung and surrounds. If you don’t have a valid driving licence, then you can also rent a car with a chauffeur, which is very common for western travelers. Perhaps it is even better to rent a car from Jakarta. You can stop for one night in Puncak, Bogor or Sukabumi.
Rental cars are available from numerous outlets, including major international brands. Note that traffic in Bandung is quite complex and the city administration likes to experiment with the traffic management. There is often a lack of traffic signs and directions. Many major roads are one-way, which makes it difficult to turn around if you are lost. Be careful not to enter a street that may a one-way street from the opposite direction but be lacking a prominent no-entry sign. There may be a watchful policeman hiding somewhere, he will pop up instantly to stop you and then you may have to pay him some money.
A lot of car rent at Bandung are scattered. Diaz Travelindo is one from many local rent car company at Bandung you can use. Car rental for travel within Bandung jakarta is about Rp400,000 per day (12 hr), or Rp500,000 (12 hr) for travel outside Bandung e.g. to Tangkuban Perahu volcanic area.